Monday, October 17, 2011

A Chance for Exposure

Writing a story from start to finish is only half the battle. After you’ve toiled and fretted over that story, a writer needs to get it out there.

As any writer will tell you, the actual act of getting published is hard. Really, really hard. I’ve had much luck with publishing book reviews and the like, but is it what I really want? No. I love to be able to write, no matter what the topic or genre, but if truth be told, I thrive on fiction.

Recently I had my first short story published, but not without a lot of trial and error. I still have numerous stories out there in the world waiting to hear back from potential publications but in the last year, I’ve had so many rejections it’s almost enough to make a person give up. But the reality is, if you want to succeed you can’t give up. But publication is not the only place a writer can get exposure.

Readings! Now that’s fun stuff. It can be terrifying to read your work in front of an audience, but when you’re done and people come up to you afterward and ask for more information about your story, like, what happens next, or even coming up to you months after the fact and saying, I really enjoyed the piece about such and such you read at such and such, it leaves you feeling that maybe, just maybe, you’re leaving a mark. No matter how small it might be.

So, despite the fact I haven’t had a lot published, I have a few readings coming up.

October 26, 2011 Open Mic @ Owl’s Nest Books at 7pm where I will put my name in the hat once again for a chance to read something. There is no guarantee.

November 23, 2011 An Encore Reading of Freshwater Pearls Anthology, also at Owl’s Nest Books. 7pm. I will read from my story, Wednesday, which was recently published in this fabulous anthology, along with fellow writers: Lee Kvern, Lori Hahnel, Susan Carpenter, Frances Hern, Julie Lockhart, Richard Gorecki.

November 30, 2011 Open Mic @ Owl’s Nest Books at 7pm. I may or may not put my name in the hat again. Depends on what happens on the 23rd and how many other people want a chance to read.

March 10, 2012, Writing in the Works 5 @ Memorial Park Library. Now this is a new opportunity for me. Writing in the Works is a program created by Calgary writer, Rona Altrows to give writers who are working on book length projects, actively searching for a publisher, or waiting to be published,  a chance to promote themselves. By invitation only, I am pleased to be asked to participate this year along with writers: Lori Hahnel, Jane Cawthorne, Rea Tarvydas and Rita Bozi.

If you’re a writer trying to get yourself out there, I highly recommend taking part in readings. No matter how big or how small, it’s all part of being a writer.

Hope you’ll come out to see me and all the other talent at these events.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some love...and I will send some back!