Sunday, July 13, 2014

Probably Not a Mermaid


It’s been roughly 15 years since I put on a bathing suit much less actually went swimming, but this past weekend I put it all behind me and jumped into the pool.

I learned a lot of things from these multiple episodes of chlorine-induced fun. Things that I have forgotten in the past 15 plus years or maybe just refused to notice at the time.

1. Swimming is very much like riding a bike. Only wetter.
2. I can actually still swim. I may not be a fast swimmer but can say I’m still a solid swimmer.
3. Swimming is hard work.
4. Even when you hold your breath and jump into a pool water rushes up your nose and your sinuses feel like they’re going to explode.
5. Diving can make your boobs fall out of your bathing suit.
6. Swimming works different muscle groups and you can actually still be sore afterwards.
7. Being dunked underwater is scary shit even if you’re saved immediately thereafter.
8. Don’t open your eyes. It burns.
9. Chlorine dries out your skin.
10. I can doggy paddle like nobody’s business. Michael Phelps may well have met his match. (ok, maybe not, but I did beat my husband in our personal doggy paddle Olympics)
11. Even though they say swimming is easier on your joints, my knee hurt worse after than it has in months.
12. Swimming is still a lot of fun. I missed it.

I will likely never be, nor have I been in a previous life, a mermaid. But the feeling of water over your skin as you glide through the water is freedom.

Until you reach the edge of the pool and have to turn around and go back to the other end.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some love...and I will send some back!