Friday, June 17, 2011

What's with doctors anyway? I've been having an ongoing female problem and finally managed to find a family doctor. I went in for the wonderful, annual check up, which I admit I hadn't had since October of 2008. Shame on me, I know. But it is what it is. So I went. And I dunno, call me weird but I find it completely unusual to go for more than a year and half with hardly a monthly visit to speak of. It's been there, just not much. And now in the last two months...spotting every bloody day. (no pun intended)

So I talk to the doctor about it and she her best "guess" is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. I was sent for a whack of blood tests and then waited.

Okay that was a couple of weeks ago.

So today, I go to the doctor because I am also having a blood pressure problem. I think it has a name. Julianne. Anyway, since there is nothing I can about her...I have to do what I can to manage it. So I went in today, for what was only supposed to be a blood pressure check.

So she proceeds to tell me the results of my blood work and other tests. All clear. Whee...I don't have cancer, I don't have high cholesterol and my hormones are apparently normal. Everything...check, check, check.

But then...the results of the urine test. Here's how it went:

Doctor: Did you have any symptoms of a bladder infection?

Me: No.

Doctor: Period? Spotting?

Me: (seriously? can't you read the stupid screen in front of you. That's kind of why I came to you in the first place.) Hmm...spotting for almost 2 months now.

Doctor: Oh? (looks at the computer a little closer) Well I want you to go for another test but make sure you're not spotting.

What? Really? And if I could control that don't you think I would? Cause I have these wonderful powers of control over my body and hell, I am just here for shits and giggles.

And she still thinks it's POS but doesn't have any definitive proof to back it up. If the hormones are good and there are no cysts...then what? Is it still POS? Problem with doctors, we put too much fricking trust in their knowledge but just because they went to school for a hundred years and have a degree or two...doesn't mean they know everything.

Don't get me wrong...I get that doctors see hundreds of patients a week and it's virtually impossible to remember everybody. But...when the information is right in front of her...and she didn't even remember what I was there for in the first place. Blood pressure. Helloooo.

And I wonder, when a doctor gets back test results and something appears a little wonky, shouldn't they review the chart first to see if they can make any sense of the results before talking to the patient. Just a thought, so that they don't look like they don't really give a shit. Which for the most part, they probably don't.

Anyway, a few more tests to come...one related to the above problem, one unrelated.

And that is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some love...and I will send some back!