Saturday, December 10, 2011

Politically Correct Christmas

Urban Dictionary definition:
1. A way that we speak in America so we don't offend whining pussies.
2. The laws of moral and ethical relativism; all systems of cultures and thought are equal in value, steming from a perceived guilt from white liberals who believe that the Western Civilization is the root of all evil to the exclusion of all else.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings: it's become increasingly difficult to wish someone a Merry Christmas because of the mix of religions and ethnicities in our culture.

For me, I was raised Christian and to me it's Merry Christmas no matter what anyone else says. I don't become offended because someone says something else, but when I speak I would like to be able to speak the way that is comfortable for me.

It's all the same, with slight differences, but it's the holidays and however you choose to celebrate or not, whatever your upbringing has taught you, great, but why do I have to say something different that comes naturally, in fear of offending someone?

I am all for respecting other cultures and religions. But why does it feel that my choice is not being respected? It's not discrimination. It's not disrespectful. I am not wronging someone or hurting someone morally or ethically...or physically.

If you are someone who does not celebrate Christmas for religious or cultural reasons, that is your choice. But you have chosen to live in a country that for the most part does celebrate these holidays and therefore it is our choice to celebrate the way we choose, just as it's your right to celebrate the way you choose. But it does not give you the right to get upset because someone wishes you a Merry Christmas.

Not all that long ago, in the days of my work in customer service, it became standard that we could ONLY wish people a Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. How many times did I slip up? More than you can count. And only once of actually saying, Merry Christmas, did someone get upset. And that was because they were a Jehovah's Witness and did not celebrate Christmas.

Fair enough. But is it really worth getting upset over?


I could be way off base, but it feels that with the growth of multiculturalism in our country, the natives of this country are being forced to surrender their beliefs to make room for others. Isn't there enough room for everyone in this country?

Just as calling someone a mail person rather than a mail man or the cable person rather than the cable guy, what's the point in getting your panties all twisted? It's a figure of speech that really doesn't mean anything. My mailman is female, but mailman still feels comfortable. It rolls off the tongue with ease. But it doesn't mean I think all mail carriers should be men. Or that men are more superior. It's words. So what.

Airlines switched from stewardesses to flight attendants. So what? The mail flight attendants could be called stewards. Is there anything wrong with that?

Nowadays in articles and books you often find a switch throughout between gender. For fairness? To not single out one more than the other? I found this common when I was pregnant. Many of the books out there (and websites) didn't want to single out one gender. I get it. Some people have boys, some have girls. But the information is more or less the same. So if I read a book that used he more predominantly, what difference does it make? Unless you have a girl and it's a potty training book, I personally don't see the big deal.

But back to Christmas. I love Christmas. I celebrate Christmas and if I want to wish someone a Merry Christmas, that's exactly what I am going to do. Just as you should wish everyone a Happy Hannukah if that's what is comfortable. I won't be offended. And no one else should be either.

3 comments:

  1. What a great post. I don't get all this political correctness. Some people are going to be caring of other's feelings some are not not matter what you declare to be correct. That's just the way it is. I'm Christian but if someone wished me a Happy Hanuka I wouldn't be offended. And why do nativity scenes upset people? If you're Christian then it means a lot, if you're not then it's just a bunch of people standing around watching a baby. How can that possibly offend someone?
    That's my two cents.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several years ago, at this time of year, I attended a circumcision celebration for my friend's grandson. They had hung a large Star of David outside their front door.
    As a Christian I was not insulted in the least. In fact,I felt honored to be asked to attend such a wonderful event.
    I'm sure most people feel the same way I do. Most people are perfectly happy to let others celebrate holidays any way they wish. Political correctness caters to the whims of a few loudmouths, and our society has been more than happy to allow and encourage their intolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, ladies.

    ReplyDelete

Send me some love...and I will send some back!