Tuesday, December 20, 2011

So Close, Yet So Very Far

Speaking of rejections...

I've been sending out a story all year that has been rejected time and again. Twice early in the year it came close: made the short-list for a contest and another magazine, "decided" not to take it but wanted to hold onto it for a possible later issue. I didn't let them hold on to it. Pulled it a short while later and sent it off to other places where it was subsequently rejected.

The latest one, was a good rejection, if there is such a thing. We writers say "good" when the editors of a specific publication provide positive feedback. It gives insight into just why the story wasn't selected.

In this case, the letter indicated the story had made their short-list but went on to add what was great about it and what was problematic for some of the editors. (I say some because it looks like there was one person who wanted the story to be chosen but the others had problems.) The problem for this one, the ending. Apparently seemed too neat and tidy to be plausible. They also wanted a little more backstory. All things I will look at in the New Year.

Needless to say, rejections aren't all bad and demoralizing and make you want to hide under the table and drink yourself into oblivion, or pound your head against the wall. (However you choose to cope.)

Being short-listed in such a competitive market is a success all on it's own.


On another note: Where did all my page views come from? I go away for a few days and find I've gone up nearly 1000 page views in a week. Not that I'm complaining.

Thank you to everyone who follows my ramblings. It may not always be interesting, there may not always be something new, yet you stick around. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some love...and I will send some back!