Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blast From The Past-Just a Ramble

I have often wondered what happened to the good old classic cartoons.  They have changed so much since I was a child and there is something that I find just a little off about the cartoons of today.  Just when I thought all was lost, I found a tv channel that has everything I loved.  The Flintstones, The Jetsons, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Fraggle Rock (ok not a cartoon but still a good one).

But, it surprises me the content of some of these programs.  Stuff I loved as a kid and now as I sit and watch the Flintstones, I realize that it was really full of more grown up content.  In this particular episode, Wilma is upset because her and Fred never do anything together anymore.  Fred is wrapped up in work, his Water Buffalo club and bowling and Wilma wants to go to a movie, to have Fred pay a little attention to her like before they were married.  So Fred agrees to take Wilma out and then Barney reminds Fred that they have a Water Buffalo Bowling Tournament.  Fred wants to do the right thing for his wife but at the same time doesn't want to let down his friends.  He comes up with an idea to be in two places at once and as is tradition it backfires on him and he gets caught.  Although he does win the bowling tournament, Wilma thinks they had a date so she's happy.  But when the truth is revealed Wilma forgives Fred and they live happily ever after.  How close was this program to real 'grown up' life and kids in the 70's and 80's loved this stuff. 

When you compare to the likes of Franklin and Dora the Explorer, it's so different.  The cartoons today seem to focus more on issues that pertain to kids.  Which there is nothing wrong with that.  And they are all trying to teach something, again great.  But why do they come off so flat? 

Maybe I am looking at a different audience.  Under 5 would probably get more enjoyment from the latter form of cartoons, and maybe I was just a tad older when I was watching my cartoons.  I do rememeber things like The Friendly Giant, Sesame Street, Mr. Dressup and I loved those too.  So maybe the problem is the age difference and I am comparing with the wrong audience.

But I sure love these oldies.  Sounds like Bugs Bunny is on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some love...and I will send some back!