Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Conflict At Work

Ok people...I am doing this free fall writing exercise as given by a friend and I got started but somewhere along the way, the story took a turn.  I would love some suggestions for the ending.  Here is what I have so far:

Barb ran into the office. She was fifteen minutes late again. She had already been reprimanded twice, and once more she would be written up. She didn’t see the big deal. It’s not like she planned on being late each morning. She just had a hard time with the traffic. She contemplated moving closer to work just to avoid the Deerfoot traffic every morning but she liked where she lived and she shouldn’t have to move just to appease her employer.


When she stepped through the door she was surprised at how quiet the office was. Where was everyone? As she rounded the corner, she saw several of her co-workers huddled in the corner, around Jaycee’s desk. Perfect, no one would have clue she had been late.

Barb slipped into her cubicle, dropped her jacket and purse then walked over the huddle. As she approached, the hushed whispers became clearer. “What was he thinking?” “I can’t believe it.” “I’m just speechless.” “What’s going to happen to the rest of us?”

“What’s going on?” Barb asked.

“Did you see your email this morning?” Jaycee asked.

“No why?”

“There’s an interoffice email going around. Check it out.” Jaycee turned her computer around so Barb could get a look at the screen.

“Oh my god,” she said. “Has Charles seen this?”

“I don’t think so. He’s not here yet.”

“Should we just get rid of it?”

“I think it’s too late for that. He’s probably already got it.”

“Who sent it?”

“Well that’s the funny thing. Somehow, whoever did this, was able to create a new user so there’s no name attached. It could have come from any one’s computer. This building is huge.”

“Surely they can trace the IP address.”

“Probably, but that might take all day. We’re probably going to be called into the office one at a time until someone confesses.”

“That’ll make for a fun day.”

“Unless someone just comes forward and gets it over with.”

“I doubt that’s going to happen.”

“Sssshhh, here he comes.”

And that is where I am lost.  What is it that is on the computer?  Does it have to do with Charlie or is it something else completely different?  Suggestions please.
And no, there is no prize for the best ending, just my gratitude.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some love...and I will send some back!