Monday, January 25, 2010

Big Boo Boo

Well, technically I missed posting for Sunday but it's close enough still that perhaps my readers will forgive me.  Huh, they probably wouldn't even have noticed if I hadn't just pointed it out.  But if you care, I will tell you the reason for my tardiness.  It's my own fault, should know better...but alas, everyone slips up now and again and we have to pay the consequences.

Over the past few months we have been making every effort to make sure that Julianne goes to sleep at a reasonable hour.  Unfortunately that means limiting her naps during the day.  Don't get me wrong, it's not like she gets 2 or 3 naps a day and we had to cut them back.  What I mean is not letting her nap any more than an hour.  Just enough for her to be rested but not so much that she stays awake until 10, 11 or 12 at night.

It's been working well too.  Hubby has been slipping up more than I have which is annoying in itself because he goes to bed early every night so guess who gets to stay up with her most of the time.  But today it was my mistake.  She was tired, rubbing her eyes and starting to get cranky so around 1:30 this afternoon I put her down for a nap which she accepted with a lot of grace.  The plan was to let her sleep no later than 3, which is my usual rule.  But what do I do...after getting her snug in bed, browsing the internet, having a late lunch...I fricking fall asleep in the chair.  And it's a comfy chair.  Too comfy.  And guess what time I managed to wake from my slumber?

5 o'clock in the evening.

Thank goodness I had supper bubbling away in the slow cooker and hubby wouldn't be home until around 6 or 6:30 so there was still plenty of time to get the rest of dinner prepared before he got home.

So in my groggy state I realize that Julianne has not made a peep, or I would have been awake a lot sooner.  This is not alarming to me anymore, like during her first year of life when I checked on her every few hours just to make sure she was still breathing.  But I was surprised that she was so quiet.  I expected her to be sitting there patiently waiting for me to come and fetch her, but nope...she was still asleep.  Was even a little difficult to wake her.  Then to try and make myself feel less guilty I tell myself she must have really needed it, which is probably true but I guess I really needed it too.  In case you didn't know, I don't sleep well at night, or anytime for that matter, so a few hours of sleep even if it's during the day is a welcomed break.

Of course I had to pay for it later.

We put her down around 9.  I was praying that by some stroke of luck she would be tired enough to just doze right off to la la land.  But nope, my prayers were not answered this day.  She cried and cried and cried.  I think she was trying to tell me something.

So after awhile I got her back up and just rocked with her for awhile in the comfy chair.  She didn't fall asleep, she did try and wriggle away, did try to pick my nose, giggled when I looked at her, waved at the cat when she came in the room, stole the remote control...and the list really does go on.  Mind you this wasn't all at once.  In between many of these little events she actually did put her head on my shoulder and close her eyes for brief moments. 

Finally, barely an hour ago, I could tell she was tired enough so I tried to put her down to sleep again...and we have success.

Now if only I could go to sleep.


  1. Ahh kids and bedtime.

    Mine still fights me at 5.

    "Mama I need this, Mama I need that"

    The game never ends.

  2. Something for me to look forward to...

  3. There are SOOO many things to look forward to. Things that there are just no way to prepare for, things no one ever tells you or warns you about. It's an ongoing rollercoaster ride for sure, with no way of ever getting off. :)


Send me some love...and I will send some back!