Thursday, December 24, 2009

Full of Sugary Goodness

I did it.  For the first time in my life I made fudge.  Ha.  Not that it's a great accomplishment or anything cause it's really not all that hard to do.  Don't even have to turn on the oven.  But do have to turn on stove and that could be dangerous. 
It remains to be seen how it will turn out.  It's now sitting nestled in the fridge, going through the cooling stage.  T- 3 hours. 
When I was a kid, at Christmas my grandpa would often make fudge and it had to be the best thing
I had ever had.  We always looked forward to it.  I know, I know, it's full of sugar, and I mean lots of sugar but what's Christmas without some sugar.  It certainly won't be nearly as good as Grandpa's I'm sure but I can try.  Got to make all the holiday traditions possible for my little girl and I thought that would be a good start.  Not that she will remember it this year, but there will come a time when she won't remember a Christmas without it.  And that's where traditions are born. 
This particular fudge is actually a chocolate and peanut butter fudge.  I figured I would share the recipe with you in case you wanted to try it too.  This is not MY recipe.  I found it courtesy of AllRecipes.com.  Great site for all your cooking needs.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

3 cups white sugar (holy doodle that's a lot of sugar)
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (like you would need the sweetened kind)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 T butter (or margerine if you must)

In a saucepan, combine sugar, milk and cocoa.  Bring to a hard boil and reduce heat to medium.  Continue cooking until mixture reaches the soft ball stage, 234 degrees F (112 degrees C)
Stir in peanut butter and butter until well blended.  Pour mixture into a buttered or wax papered 8x8 inch baking dish.  Cool about 3 hours and cut into small pieces.

Yield: However many pieces you cut it into.  :)

Enjoy the sugar high!

There is actually another fudge recipe that I might try later.  Also peanut butter and chocolate (who doesn't like peanut butter and chocolate?) but it's mostly peanut butter with a chocolate swirl.  Not sure yet.  Might put me into a diabetic coma, if I was diabetic.

Don't worry, my loyal readers, I am not eating it all myself.  Nor is it even remaining in my home.  It's for the Christmas Eve party tonight so everyone else can eat it.

Now it's time to make something a little more nutritious for said party.  With lots of fruit and vegetables. 

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some love...and I will send some back!