Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Comes to a Close

All afternoon has been spent chasing around a rambunctious 16 month old that now really does get into everything.  I thought it was bad before with just the climbing on furniture, tables, getting at my computer, pulling out all the shoes etc.  But lately she has learned how to open the dishwasher.  We try to keep it latched as that would seem the obvious solution, but the little smartie pants has figured out how to unlock it.  Then today, holy shit, the oven door. 
You have got to be kidding me!  My first reaction was whatever, the first time she burns herself she won't do it again.  Before you start condemning me let me just say that thought left as quickly as it arrived.  Ok, so we distracted her from the oven with toys...only to have her literally bring just about every toy she owns out of her bedroom.  The living room and dining room floor are now cluttered with so many toys we have to create little paths just to get anywhere.  Please don't call CPS, I am not a hoarder.  Really, I'm not. 
So she's distracted and I am stressed because of the mess but I start to cook supper and guess what?...yep, I had to use the oven.  All was smooth although she had to literally be watched constantly to ensure she stayed away from these things.  Thank god there are two of us.
Supper is done...dishes cleaned...and we think all is well.  Until...we hear the oven door open.  Jeez...neither of us can move fast enough to get to her before...yep...she touched the oven rack that was still hot even though the oven had been off for almost an hour.  And there were tears.  Thankfully it wasn't bad...her reflexes are good and she recognizes that when it hurts stop doing it.  The tears quickly subsided when she got to play in the water that was running over her little hand.  All was good. 
Although I think it was still bothering her a little later because she didn't want to stay in the bath.  I noticed every time she put her hand in the water she would remove it quickly and start to cry a little then climb out of the tub.  So much for a bath today.  The last day of the 2009 and she is stinky.  What a great way to end the year. 
Most of you that know me know that I am short.  5'3" to be exact...ok that's probably not exact but it's close.  I actually think it's 5'3" and 1/2.  Does that count as 5'4"?  Probably not.  Anyway...my husband is nearly a foot taller than I am and he likes to put things up higher than I can reach.  Most times I bother him to get them for me since he put them there in the first place but tonight I decided to do it on my own.  I have a little stool, which I am sure most people as vertically challenged as me do, to get to these out of reach items.  Julianne has seen me use this stool several times and now she decides that's a good way to get to those things on the counter that she can't reach.  Aargh.  I can't even leave my stool out where it's easily accessible to me anymore.  I feel like everything needs to be locked away.  It's frustrating but at the same time it's amazing to see how much she has changed from the sweet little baby she once was.  The immobile baby.  (one can only dream)

So here is a question...I thought the terrible 2's were supposed to start between the ages of 2 and 3.  Was a misguided in this thinking?  I am now thinking the answer is a big fat YES. 

It WILL get better, it WILL get better.  I will be able to have unlocked cupboards again one day...I will be able to leave the shoes in the closet where they belong rather than see them scattered across the floor.  Toys...well those might never change until she is much older but then there's the messy room issue. 

So with all the hub bub this evening, it suddenly occured to me I hadn't done my blog entry for today and time is ticking away..less than half and hour to 2010. 

Goodbye 2009.  It was fun while it lasted.  I can't even say see ya later cause, well unless they invent time travel...or rather until I learn how to time travel, I will never see you again. 

I see 2010 peeking around the corner...I am going to go now, so I can go let her in.

Hey, isn't it the year of the rooster?  Well, that's another post.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  All the best in 2010.

1 comment:

Send me some love...and I will send some back!